Welcome to Introduction to Physical Geography: Weather and Climate! This is will be an awesome course as we learn about the world around us. In a Christian intellectual environment, this is an opportunity to explore God’s creation in greater depth!
This is a distance education course. This creates some exciting possibilities for you – you get to study at your time and place, and explore issues that interest you in greater depth. You will also experience some challenges – you don’t get to see me, your instructor! But yes, I do exist! And I will do all I can to make this a positive, creative learning experience for you.
This is also an intensive course. It will go quickly! You are going twice as fast as a regular course (doing a 13 week course in 7 weeks).
I have taught this course, distance education, for several years. Most students really enjoy this style of learning (although it may take a bit of getting used to).
Some things you need to do right away (TODAY!!!):
- Find the course website: https://rossway.net/geography-103-intensive/
- Sign into Canvas (Contact the College IT people for help) www.canvas.ubc.ca
- Read the Syllabus carefully – make sure you have a printed copy to refer to.
- Read the Calendar carefully – post a printed copy on your bulletin board where you can’t miss it!
- Read online notes 1a and 1b (on https://rossway.net/geography-103-intensive/) and the text Chapter 1. The textbook is now only available online. The syllabus and Canvas have all the details.
- Lab 1 is due Tuesday, November 10. This is a Quiz on Canvas. You can take as much time as you like; it is open book; but you do have to do it all in one sitting. Allow about 2 hours for it.
- Make a contribution to the online discussion forum on Canvas www.canvas.ubc.ca by Saturday midnight. This is a great way to get to know your classmates.
- Record your reading on Canvas by Sunday midnight.
If you have any questions, get in touch with me right away! Email works best … firstname.lastname@example.org.
My background is as a geographer and pastor (cleric-scientists are a fine Roman Catholic tradition!).
I have taught geography and pastored for many years (currently I am pastor in Lethbridge, AB, so unfortunately I am not actually on campus – but I DO exist!). I am a member of the Canadian Association of Geographers (the academic and professional association for geographers in Canada), the Canadian Scientific Christian Affiliation (a network of Christians in the sciences – students members are welcome!). For continuing education I recently was a Visiting Scholar at Cambridge University, U.K. (the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, St. Edmund’s College).
I have lived in BC, Nova Scotia, and Alberta … my wife, Marianne, is from Rossway, N.S. (hence the website name). You can find out more about me on the website, click on the “Who is Bruce?” link.
I am really excited to be able to help you discover the wonders of God’s creation! We will have a stimulating, exciting course together! Welcome!
Bruce Martin, Ph.D
Adjunct Professor, Geography